Iraqi C-Cubed I

Samuel Kaplin wrote:

> How about locating it in a recalcitrant country e.g. North Korea, Libya,
> Iraq, Iran.  During the Gulf war scuttlebutt has it that Iraq used encrypted
> communications on the Internet to keep its C3 functions up. (Command,
> Control, Communications) If they can't get at the remailer its pretty hard
> to shut it down. Use satellite communications instead of copper and it would
> be real hard to shut down.

Much more important to the survivability of Iraqi C-Cubed I was their
use of Banyan-type networks. Links could be cut by bombs, SEAL
sappers, etc., and then the network would reconfigure and "heal."

Several U.S. companies supplied the technology, according to reports
in EE Times, etc., and export laws may be changed as a result.

(No matter, as plenty of other countries supply similar network
topology software. The Internet is in many countries....)

--Tim May

[email protected]       | anonymous networks, digital pseudonyms, zero
Cypherpunks list: [email protected] with body message of only:
subscribe cypherpunks. FAQ available at ftp.netcom.com in pub/tcmay