Re: Trapdoors

# From [email protected] Sun Feb 21 14:14:43 1993
#
# Does anybody have a good idea what applications this is useful for?

The old CDC CYBER machines had population count in its instruction
set.  Perhaps some scientific-type programmers would know what they
used it for.  The CYBER did not have a lot of instructions -- they
were pretty practical about what they put in.   i.e.  != VAX

# My first thought is that it's a very quick way to do linear error
# detection codes, since this instruction directly computes the Hamming
# weight of a code word.

That was always my assumption.  Anyway, it's not unprecedented.

						strick
						[email protected]