Re: Rambo Lives

> From [email protected] Mon Feb 22 23:23:46 1993
> To: [email protected]
> Subject: Re: Rambo Lives
> Date: Mon, 22 Feb 1993 20:37:25 MST
> From: Brad Huntting <[email protected]>
>

> >> I say we should ensure that as many citizens as possible get ahold of PGP as
> >> soon as possible.
>
> > Definitely.  Spread the source.
>
> But to realy get PGP going (or PEM for that matter) will require
> wide spread key distribution.  It's clear that such distribution
> mechanisms are not going to arise out of any "respectfull" institutions
> mostly because of the legal entanglements they present.
>
> Perhaps the time has come for "alt.pgp.keyrings".  A standard format
> for postings could allow them to be automatically added to global
> keyrings at usenet sites everywhere.  Several security issues will
> have to be addressed before this can work.

I see statements like this over and over again and I can't help but believe
it is due to extremely widespread ignorance about PGP keys.

There is no need for widespread key distribution, folks. If you want
to communicate with someone, provided their key has been signed by
someone who's signature you trust, you can just ask them, in the clear,
to email you their key, and all should be just fine. Some people seem
to obsessively keep hundreds and thousands of keys around. Why? Whats
the point? You can always just get keys from people any time you like.
There is no problem.

Perry