Re: Anonymous flooding

Teodore Ts'o writes:

> At MIT, we're considering to start up an anonymous remailer, but with
> the proviso that if we get a complaint about a particular pseudonym is
> used to send harassing email, or email with threatening violence, and
> some other well-defined occassions, that we would reveal, to the proper
> authorities, the email address used for sending replies back.
>
> A warning to that effect would be sent back to an email address the
> first time the anonymous contact service saw that particular email
> address, and assigned it a pseudonym address for replies.  This way,
> users would have the proper expectations of privacy.

Hmm... Could you briefly outline those "well-defined"
occasions? How about this case: I send you a complaint about somebody
who has repeatedly harrassed everybody soc.culture.india/tamil/srilanka
with anonymous postings about faked reports about then indian army
raping civilians in sri lanka?

> Ultimately, I think this is the only way that anonymous remailers will
> be able to function.  Otherwise, the public outcry the first time one of
> these remailers are abused will cause these full remailers to be
> shutdown, or otherwise cut off from the net.

Exactly as has happened to anon.penet.fi. ;-)

	Julf