how does it work

In article <[email protected]> [email protected] writes:
 > 1) Aren't telnets logged, at least at the site you telnet to? If I "telnet
 > xxxx smtp", doesn't the site I telnet to have it in a log? I can't control
 > that, and that could identify me.

*All* connections to any port can be logged.  And if your site isn't entirely
under your own control, your site can collude with the called site using
the ident protocol to tell the other site the name of the user that the
tcp/ip connection belongs to.  If the other end has a smart SMTP, it
can put this info in the received: headers.

I do stuff like this myself using the LOG_TCP wrappers.

===
Personal mail to [email protected] (I read it in the evenings)
Business mail to [email protected] (Be careful with the spelling!)
Faxes to An Teallach Limited: +44 31 662 4678  Voice: +44 31 668 1550 x212