Re: Anonymous IRC

On Fri, 20 Aug 1993, Skye Merlin Poier wrote:
> Obviously you have not used IRC much... I think this idea would be exceptionally
> bad. On IRC, for those that have not used it, there are channel operators
> (chops) on each channel. They have the power to kick and ban people from the
> channel, if they are being abusive or exremely irritating (eg flooding everyone)
> . By removing the client information, you remove the efficiency of a ban (usu
> it applys the the person's userid from any machine on the same domain)... This
> would make it very easy for one person in a bad mood to ruin a channel for
> everyone. And believe me, there are usually serveral people of that kind on
> the net.
>
> Perhaps you could set up your own IRC net (similar to the undernet) and have it
> anonymous, but I would highly recommend against trying this on the standard IRC
> net.

Actually I have used IRC for quite some time.  I have also noticed that
most of the time there is not much of a problem in "annoying" people.
Also the power of the Operator is much in question when it comes to
banning people, as to how easy it is to overcome being "banned" from a
channel.  You make the example of how anyone in a "bad mood" can ruin the
channel for everyone.  This is something you have to deal with.  Ask
people running Anonymous Remailers, and Anonymous Posting Services.

I did not intend to connect this up with the "Normal IRC Network".  That
would be a little rude on my part.  Allowing people to become anonymous
only on my server.  Also I would suspect most other people who run servers
would not let mine conenct to theirs.

I am not trying to start up a server to be in competition with the "Normal
IRC Network".  I want an alternative for people who wish to talk, but
don't wish their identity known.

-Matt
([email protected])