PGP in FIDO

   However, the law
   is the law.

And as such is an ass, yes.

   Disagreeing with it or consciously deciding to violate it
   is one thing, but smug amateur lawyering in which you pretend that it
   isn't supposed to apply to you is another.

I don't see the good in this sort of thing.  The FIDOnet operators
in question are probably operating in good faith, whether mistakenly
or no, their smugness or lack thereof is not in evidence, and if there
is anyone you should be annoyed with, it is the federal agencies which
have created such a chilling atmosphere that their belief resulted.
Put another way, they're terrified of the feds.  Terrified people make
stupid mistakes.  The root of the problem is the cause of the
terror, not the mistakes that result.

I think it would be more constructive, instead of trying to imprison
the BBS operator for offending your aethetic judgement (I realize you
were not serious, of course -- please accept my rhetorical license as
no less broad than your own), to document to them the reasoned legal
opinion of the appropriately credentialled M. Godwin, so that they may
protect themselves from legal assault.