Re: PGP in FIDO

Perry E. Metzger wrote:

# They take NO risk. They are common carriers if they stop censoring
# their mail.

Not long after I moved here, I had a discussion with a local lawyer on common
carrier status.  Take my recollections for what they're worth after three years
rattling around in the head of a non-attorney.
One doesn't become a common carrier by virtue of personal policy.  It's a
label that must be applied for with the local communications regulatory
authority (public utilities commission or what have you.)  You must publish
a tariff of your rate structure and other operating information.  There's
probably a lot more to do, but what it comes down to is paperwork, paperwork,
paperwork, and (depending upon the lawyer) no small amount of legal time and
expense.
What I also heard that day was that this particular lawyer, who was obviously
familiar with the process of consideration for common carrier status, would be
unable to submit an application because of a conflict of interest his company
would have.  They represent the local telephone company, which had then, and
still has now (in an unimpressive way,) an interest in getting into information
services.  I didn't make an exhaustive search for legal representation then,
but I could imagine it taking a real expedition to find somebody that wasn't
soaking up *some* of the money/influence that SWBT throws around in town (this
being the state capitol.)

[ Insert what Mike Godwin says next here.  :-) ]

Bob
   Bob Izenberg                                     voice phone: 512-891-8680
   Motorola RISC Software                               [email protected]