DES

Two questions about DES.

1) If the current, 56 bit, DES system is so easy to break why don't people
switch over to a DES system that uses a larger key space, say 128 bits?
People obviously aren't, so what's the barrier to this?

2) How much longer would it take to break triple DES versus standard DES
using one of the key-breaking machines described?

	As an aside I'll point out that I go by the Yakima Research Station once a
month when I'm out with my National Guard unit, this is the radio dish
that's on the cover of _The Puzzle Palace_. It's not a very large
installation.

Jamie Jamison
[email protected]