Re: DES

> > 2) How much longer would it take to break triple DES versus
standard DES
> > using one of the key-breaking machines described?

> Using brute force, it would take the cube of the
> time it takes to break single DES.

Hmm...  I can't figure out what it would mean to cube time.  For
two-key (112 bit) triple DES, it should be 2^56 times longer to
exhaustively search the keyspace, with three keys, 2^112 times
longer.  This assumes the keysearch engine is pipelined, so each
trial encryption takes the same amount of time, despite the
additional rounds.  Such a machine would cost more, of course, since
it would have a longer pipeline, but wouldn't otherwise be
significantly different in design.

Back-of-the-envelope calculation:  a design like the "7-hour
exhaustive keysearch" engine for 2-key triple DES would take 50
trillion years or so to exhaust the keyspace.  That's for a cost on
the order of $1 million (it should be buildable for less than three
times the cost of the 56-bit key version).

Seems secure, but as Perry says,

> Whether a more sophisticated techinque is possible is unknown.

Joe