Re: Cypherwaffle on spoofing

Arthur Chandler writes:
>  What I find odd is the number and  vehemence of posts ON A LIST DEVOTED
>TO ENCRYPTION saying "Hey, it's a  fact of life, accept it" -- even
>dragging out Machiavelli's profoundly  mistaken "if you can't enforce
>it,  don't prohibit it."

"It's a fact of life" is a fact central to the, ahem, cypherpunk cause.
Virtual personas are here.  The only question is how this will change the
way people deal with each other over the net.

>Of all the groups  on the Internet, I would
>think that  this one would be in a special position to say "put your
>digital John Hancock on your post if you want to to taken seriously."

That is one possibility: people start signing posts with IDs that
verifiably mean something over a wider range of net and RL spaces than just
a single small world like [email protected].  Personas which consist
only of postings here might come to be taken less seriously, even if their
content appears useful and constructive.

I do not see what authoritarian action is needed, desirable, or practical.
I would rather see a consensus emerge over how to behave in this new
environment.

I notice you didn't sign your post.  Can I conclude that you do not want it
to be taken seriously?

Richard Kennaway                  __\_ /    School of Information Systems
Internet:  [email protected]      \  X/     University of East Anglia
uucp:  ...mcsun!ukc!uea-sys!jrk    \/       Norwich NR4 7TJ, U.K.