Re: Introducing digital cash in a MOO, Metaverse

Geoff writes:
> I have been poking around in Metaverse this last week, (under the handle of
> "PlasticBeethoven"). I think you are very right about this. They have a
> whole area reserved for *REAL* business, called Freegate. WIRED, EFF,
> Fringeware, BoingBoing, and of courese Steve Jackson Games all have virtual
> offices there. In most cases the offices are just shadows of what they
> could be. I'm also considering setting up an office there (details may
> follow once I get it set up).

Note that while we are technically 'open for business', we are the first
ones to admit we have a ways to go before we are 100% ready for prime
time.

> A hobby store has also set up shop, and will allow you to order from them.
> Billing, alas, is done the old fashioned way.

This will change as better tools emerge. This is the plan.

> I've noted, that there seems to be a vague interest in dealing with these
> issues, if it does not represent a tremendous investment of time for them.

The interest is considerably more than vague; we're hesitant to commit
to it or hype it while we're sorting out more fundamental issues.

> Also note that Doug Barnes (metaverse: CoffeeMan) and Lloyd Blankenship
> (metaverse: Mentor), who are both "Wizards", also frequent this list. They
> are also the very same Austin-Cypherpunks featured in the "Bank of the
> Internet" thread about Internet Credit Unions. Looks like a possible
> convergence.

Imagine that... :-)

> Well they already have credit card numbers for most of they're users, they
> could do something like Compuserve's MALL and just set up a system were
> they bill through connect fees. (At least that's how I thought CI$'s system
> worked. I haven't used it much.)

We will (obvoiusly) be working very closely with the attempt to set up
the Digital Credit Unions, and will (obviously) be one of the first
vendors to be able to process electronic checks written in the MOO etc.
Certainly various kinds of anonymous 'tokens' will be available as well,
which could become a medium of exchange (although it is unclear at
present whether these will be redeemable for cash).

Most of these things have been in the plan from the beginning; things
will be announced as they happen, and hopefully not too much before.

--
Douglas Barnes            [email protected]            /  \