Color Copier, Scanners, and Countereiting

Paul Baclace writes:

> Well, I'm glad to hear that use of color copiers isn't highly restricted,
> although there seems to be a good amount of misinformation (probably
> intentional from the SS).
>
> This is an example of a technology that cannot be controlled so the
> government uses warnings and threats.  Similarly, (non-escrow) crypto
> could end up like this:  penalties could be applied if it is used
> for illegal activity.  If such a law were proposed, it would be difficult
> to oppose it on the basis of freedom of expression.

There was a very good PBS show, probably on "Nova," about modern
counterfeiting methods and what various countries are doing about it
(embedded fibers, special papers, holograms, etc.).

High-res color scanners (600 dpi minimum) are used to forge paychecks,
traveller's checks, and currency. The scanner allows the forger to use
packages like Photoshop to adjust serial numbers, payee names, etc.
Minor touch-ups, etc.

Pretty hard to control availability of these systems, and pretty hard
to force "hidden messages" to be (somehow) embedded in the final
output.

My personal guess is that these problems will accelerate the
conversion to government-mandated "digital money," albeit not of a
Chaumian sort and certainly not of the sort many of us favor. A way to
handle transfer payments (AFDC, SS, veterans, etc.), to reduce fraud
and theft, etc. Perhaps merged with the "National ID smartcard" being
talked about for the new national health care system?

We've debated this a couple of times (I'm not saying don't debate it
now, just letting folks know the history...). Duncan Frissell has
argued persuasively that the many advantages of cash will keep it
common.

Maybe. In any case, something to think about.

--Tim May (according to Dettweiler, "List TRAITOR YYY" :-} )

[email protected]       | anonymous networks, digital pseudonyms, zero
Higher Power: 2^756839 | Public Key: PGP and MailSafe available.
Note: I put time and money into writing this posting. I hope you enjoy it.