Re: Shockwave Rider ( True Names, Enders Game, Islands In The Net)

Jamie writes:

> Brunner's _The Shockwave Rider_ is also recommended readings, especially
> for those most concerned with nyms, access rights/abilities and the net.

Cypherpunks may be interested in a course I'm teaching later this fall in
NYC at the School of Visual Arts:

Course Description: Law, Society, and the Electronic Frontier

Instructor: Mike Godwin, Legal Services Counsel, Electronic Frontier
Foundation

The purpose of this class is to give students familiarity with a range of
social and legal issues that arise when computers become a medium for
communication, an instrumentality of crime, and a new kind of community.
The class is designed to give students a sense of what kinds of social and
cultural challenges we will have to face as we enter the networked world
of the 21st century.

Students will read, on average, one book for each meeting, plus occasional
handout materials. Class meetings will be devoted to a short lecture,
followed by a discussion period. There will be one short research or
writing assignment.

This class will meet over six Saturdays from October 30 to December 18
(November 6 and Thanksgiving recess excluded). I will be available for
phone conferences from my office or home in Washington, DC:

(Office) 202-347-5400, ex. 204
(Home) 301-270-1703.

Book list:

THE HACKER CRACKDOWN, Bruce Sterling
CYBERPUNK, Katie Hafner and John Markoff
HACKERS, Steven Levy
GIRLS LEAN BACK EVERYWHERE, Edward de Grazia
THE SHOCKWAVE RIDER, John Brunner
NEUROMANCER, William Gibson

(optional)
BURNING CHROME, William Gibson
TRUE NAMES, Vernor Vinge

There may also be some photocopied handouts distributed in class.