Sign this!

All due respect Eric,

...but requiring signatures could hinder this lists performance for
several reasons.

1.  New members of the list may have little knowledge of signing and
may become frustrated at the delay that results thus minimizing
the income of fresh talent to the list.

2.  Those with aversion to open system storage will have a harder time
signing their messages and thus security minded people will have their comments delayed.

3.  A false sense of security may actually result in this forum
since there is no _real_ compelling reason for me to check...lets say...
L. Detweiller's signature everytime he posts.  In a corporate contractual
situation there is an economically compelling reason to check.

...and with regard to 3. I would _suggest_ that for all 'sensitive'
or 'meant to be relied upon' information be signed by the author.  For example
I value Eric's vast knowledge of mathematical theory, and if 'he'
published an article to the list on some new breakthrough
algorithm I would be compelled to check his sig.  But, If he is
just flaming the hell out of LD, it is irrelevant to me if it
is him or anyone else.

--Matt
"This new technology (the printing press) threatened the Crown, which shuddered
at the thought of widespread dissemination of works advocating religious heresy
and political upheaval.  The Crown's solution to the problem was a system of
regulation designed to control this "dangerous" art."
         -From my Copyright Law Text (refrencing the Statute of Anne -
                                           the first Copyright Statute)
(c)1993
______________________/[email protected]