Re: Warning about exposing anon id

Scott Collins says:
> Wonderer says:
>   >[direct replies to an anon id reveal _your_ anon id]
>
> To avoid this, instead of replying to e.g., [email protected], reverse
> the first two letters (mnemonic 'not anonymous') and thus reply instead to
> [email protected].

I believe that, according to the principle of least astonishment, replies
to anonymous IDs should, by default, not be double-blinded; and deliberate
action should have to be taken to request the double-blinding that
currently happens by default.  Perhaps the anon admins could be persuaded
to modify their systems accordingly;  They would just need to put na####
instead of an#### in the FROM address, and educate their users.

Several months ago, I tried to persuade one of the anon admins to do this,
but I was not successful, and that server has since shut down.

--apb
Alan Barrett, Dept. of Electronic Eng., Univ. of Natal, Durban, South Africa
RFC822: [email protected]