Secure Phone Progress (fwd)

>From: [email protected] (Tom Horsley)
>Newsgroups: sci.crypt,talk.politics.crypto
>Subject: New IBM soundcard and secure phones
>Date: 28 Oct 1993 11:55:54 GMT

Over in the comp.sys.ibm.pc.soundcard group there have been a couple of
brief mentions of the new "Windsurfer" card from IBM. It apparently
incorporates a couple of DSP chips, a 14.4K modem, a soundblaster emulator,
general midi, kitchen sink, etc :-).

I don't know if these DSP chips will be user programmable or not, but if so,
this sounds like the one board you need to build your very own secure
phone. The 14.4K modem for sending the data, the DSP chips for audio
compression, and the sound board for digitizing speach and playing it
back. Throw in a little private key exchange via RSA or equivalent at the
start of the connection, and use triple DES or IDEA on the data (of course,
the person at the other end needs the same setup).

Does anyone have any more details on this board (like, will it be user
programmable, and will the specs be available for less than your firstborn
child :-)?
domain: [email protected]       USMail: Tom Horsley
Don't have awk? Use this simple sh emulation: |Delray Beach, FL  33444
echo 'Awk bailing out!'
exit 2