Re: tapping hardware? (was re: Mark Abene (Phiber Optik) sentenced)

> I have heard that tapping high speed modems can be a little tricky
> because of the adaptive filtering done.  The modems both have
> adaptive filters that adjust to the line as they see it.  If you
> are tapping at some other point the filtering will not be optimimal
> for your case.  I believe these filters take care of smearing and
> echos and things of that nature.

Hmm...  As part of the tap, introduce just enough distortion or
noise to cause the modems to fallback to a slower bit rate.  This
is somewhat intrusive of course and so it might be noticed, but it
could make taping a line much cheaper.

brad