Cryptosplit 2.0

>One possible application is to split up your PGP secret key file this
>way and distribute the pieces to trusted friends such that several of
>them have to cooperate to recover your key.  Then if you accidentally lose
>your key you can get the pieces back from your friends.

I don't need to worry much about losing my secret key.  I can keep as
many backup copies as I like, in as many different places as I like --
all securely encrypted with my passphrase.

The application for secret sharing would be to allow some subset of
trusted people to regenerate your secret key *without your
assistance*. I could see several situations in which a voluntary
scheme like this could be useful, the main one being if you were to
die unexpectedly.

Phil