Re: NSA CAN BREAK PGP ENCRYPTION

check out this load of bull that I pulled off of alt.privacy today.
Reminds me of those chain letters....

>        A lot of people think that PGP encryption is unbreakable and that the
>NSA/FBI/CIA/MJ12 cannot read their mail. This is wrong, and it can be a deadly
>mistake. In Idaho, a left-wing activist by the name of Craig Steingold was
>arrested  _one day_ before he and others wee to stage a protest at government
>buildings; the police had a copy of a message sent by Steingold to another
>activist, a message which had been encrypted with PGP and sent through E-mail.
>
>        Since version 2.1, PGP ("Pretty Good Privacy") has been rigged to
>allow the NSA to easily break encoded messages. Early in 1992, the author,
>Paul Zimmerman, was arrested by Government agents. He was told that he
>would be set up for trafficking narcotics unless he complied. The Government
>agency's demands were simple: He was to put a virtually undetectable
>trapdoor, designed by the NSA, into all future releases of PGP, and to
>tell no-one.
>
>        After reading this, you may think of using an earlier version of
>PGP. However, any version found on an FTP site or bulletin board has been
>doctored. Only use copies acquired before 1992, and do NOT use a recent
>compiler to compile them. Virtually ALL popular compilers have been
>modified to insert the trapdoor (consisting of a few trivial changes) into
>any version of PGP prior to 2.1. Members of the boards of Novell, Microsoft,
>Borland, AT&T and other companies were persuaded into giving the order for the
>modification (each ot these companies' boards contains at least one Trilateral
>Commission member or Bilderberg Committee attendant).
>
>        It took the agency more to modify GNU C, but eventually they did it.
>The Free Software Foundation was threatened with "an IRS investigation",
>in other words, with being forced out of business, unless they complied. The
>result is that all versions of GCC on the FTP sites and all versions above
>2.2.3, contain code to modify PGP and insert the trapdoor. Recompiling GCC
>with itself will not help; the code is inserted by the compiler into
>itself. Recompiling with another compiler may help, as long as the compiler
>is older than from 1992.
>
>Distribute and reproduce this information freely. Do not alter it.
>To find out more about the anon service, send mail to [email protected].
>Due to the double-blind, any mail replies to this message will be anonymized,
>and an anonymous id will be allocated automatically. You have been warned.
>Please report any problems, inappropriate use etc. to [email protected].

      --**--**--  R X T 1 0 9 @ E M A I L . P S U . E D U  --**--**--
Bob Torres                      |  "I don't know what I'm writing about:
[email protected]               |     I'm obscure even to myself."
                               PGP PUB KEY AVAILABLE **        | -C.
Lispector, _The Stream of Life_