Re: Escobar and Cellular Ph0n3z

I'm not sure about your speculation that the NSA provided the equipment.
I have a feeling that it was a third party vendor actually.

When cellular was just beginning to be used the FBI came up with
a similar box.  As I recall it just waitied for certain selected
ESN's to go active and then listened to every call they made and/or
received.  Of course you had to be within range of the car or
the cell it was using.  The article on the box was in the Chicago Trib.
I'll see if I can find it, but I sort of doubt it as I can't really
nail down the year in my head.  I'll try a nexis search.

In any case, the article was boosting third partys and their
contrubution to the war on drugs.

I might add however, that the equipment did not triangulate.

-uni- (Dark)