Re: Distribution of Secure Drive

In cypherpunks, Edgar W. Swank writes:
>On Nov 30, I sent a private msg to Eric Hughes asking him to put
>Mike Ingle's Secure Drive program for MSDOS
>
>   SECDRV10.ZIP    68155  11-19-93  Secure Drive 1.0 with SRC.
>
>On the Soda.Berkeley FTP site and to advise me of its location.
>I have not received any response at all.
>
>I'm aware that Mike said he hadn't submitted Secure Drive to the FTP
>site because of "export concerns."  But since this site is already
>distributing PGP, I wouldn't think this a "concern" to the site
>administration.
>
>So I'm asking any public-spirited Cypherpunk (perhaps even an
>anonymous one) to place Secure Drive on an FTP site or a site
>with an E-mail file server and to post the location of the file
>either here or to me privately.

Please, please don't do this without checking with the author of
the package first.  He went out of his way to say that he doesn't
want to a make it available for ftp because he doesn't want to deal with
potential export problems.  So respect his wishes; it's his work, after
all.

I'm the process of arranging the release of my own Unix crypto file system,
and am myself concerned about the export issues (as is my employer).
Messages like this one don't exactly give me a warm fuzzy feeling about
people violating their agreements to not export the code or
otherwise creating future headaches on my behalf.

If you think that an author of cryptographic software is immune from
export hassles just because it was someone else who exported it, ask
Phil Zimmermann...

-matt