Re: Encryption and Self-Incrimination

I wasn't actually the person who said self-incrimination protections don't apply;
that was somebody replying to my post; unlike Mike Godwin, I'm not that
pessimistic yet (nor am I a lawyer), though a few badly defended cases
would be all it takes to get some bad Federal precedents set.

Mike Ingle sent me a reply with a bit more information; the case is in Canada,
and if I'm not misinterpreting it (I read his reply way too late at night :-),
the wiretapping was by the University (presumably with sniffers or equivalent),
and I'm not sure if the police are involved yet or if this is still in the
university investigation phase.  Rules for throwing people out of school are
of course different from rules for throwing people in jail, Canadian rules are
different, and some universities have honor codes which simplify some of the
processes.  (Some other universities have minimal respect for due process,
which also simplifies things a lot, albeit negatively.)

			Bill
# Bill Stewart  NCR Corp, 6870 Koll Center Parkway, Pleasanton CA, 94566
# Voice/Beeper 510-224-7043, Phone 510-484-6204
# email [email protected] [email protected]