Re: legal rqmt for FAX return phone #

> Begin forwarded message:
>

> Date: Fri, 6 May 94 12:38:30 PDT
> From: [email protected] (David Taffs)
> To: [email protected]
> Subject: legal rqmt for FAX return phone #
> Sender: [email protected]
>

> I thought I heard somewhere that it was illegal to send
> anonymous faxes -- namely, that there was some regulation
> that you had to program your FAX machine with your phone
> number so it would get sent automagically whenever you
> faxed anything. Essentially it was ILLEGAL to fax without
> providing the recipient with a mechanism to find out where
> it came from. Of course, I suspect enforcement is lax, but
> still...  :-)  :-(
>

> Can someone please confirm this, or help with a reference?
> Private e-mail is fine...
>

> --

> [email protected] (David Taffs)

I was _just_ speaking with a few technicians at various FAX management software
vendors.  A couple of them were saying that identifying the return telephone
number on incomings FAXes is highly problematic.  There are no established
standards regarding the format or presentation of the return FAX number
information.  Also, some older FAX machines may or may not have the feature at
all.

I wonder, however, because it seems to me that whenever I've received FAXes in
the past (not exactly commonplace) they have always had the return FAX number
somewhere at the top of the page.

--
[email protected] (home address)                                  NeXTMAIL
[email protected] (work address)                                   Welcome!