Re: The ITARs

> Jim Miller says:
> > Section #120.9 of the ITAR defines "Defense Service" as:
> >
> >   (1) The furnishing of assistance (including training) to foreign
> > persons, whether in the United States or abroad in the design,
> > development, engineering, manufacture, production, assembly, testing,
> > repair, maintenance, modification, operation, demilitarization,
> > destruction, processing, or use of defense articles; or
> >   (2) The furnishing to foreign persons of any technical data
> > controlled under this subchapter (see #120.10), whether in the United
> > States or abroad.
>
> This is sick. According to this, I cannot teach foreigners about
> cryptography in the U.S. -- even about the open literature. This is a
> grotesque denial of my first amendment rights.
>
> I wonder if I should hold an open enrollment cryptography class for
> the sake of civil disobediance.
>
> Perry

Are there any bills being considered for congress which would remove
cryptography from the munitions umbrella ?

I think I remember this being talked about earlier on this list..has
it gone anywhere ?  (It was needed so that US companies could compete
with foreigners in this market or some such).

Obviously that ammendment is going to need further application if it
only affects export controls.