Re: NYT op-ed May 8

I caught this in EDUPAGE -- sorry if you've seen this before (and
sorry again about posting by mistake yet again to the list, and sorry
about wasting so damn much bandwidth apologizing)...

From EDUPAGE:

SUPPORT FOR THE CLIPPER CHIP
        Yale computer scientist David Gelernter urges support for the
Clipper Chip encryption technology and for the Administration's Digital
Telephony and Communications Privacy Improvement Act, the heart of which is
to give law-enforcement agents a continued ability to conduct wiretapping
with court orders. "Nothing would do us more good as a nation than to
reassert our right to tell the experts to get lost. I am a `technical
expert,' but don't take my words on this bill as an expert. I was seriously
and permanently injured by a terrorist letter bomb last year, but don't
take my word as a special pleader either. Take my word because common sense
demands that wiretapping be preserved." (New York Times 5/8/94 Sec.4, p.17)

--
[email protected] (David Taffs)