Re: State Dept Response to my second CJ request

In message <[email protected]>you write:
  > Frankly, the case seems airtight right now. The government is
  > contending that only Americans can type. The position is so idiotic as
  > to be untenable. I don't think there is any need for additional
  > rigamarole -- Phil should appeal the current ruling and then take them

While the courts can always rule whatever they want to, there are hopeful
signs. I was having dinner with a Federal Judge last weekend, who made the
mistake of asking me "Just what is the internet I keep hearing about." By
the end of the night we had covered everything through the ITAR. The
classification of crypto as munitions struck him as absurd, he liked the
cryptography as an envelope for email analogy, and volunteered that "people
who think only those with something to hide need privacy are fools."

Judges tend to have brains, and are educatable. This is where, ultimately,
the battle for free crypto will be won or lost.

Linn H. Stanton <[email protected]>

The above opinions are exclusively my own. If anyone else wants them,
they can buy them from me. Easy terms can be arranged.