PGP outside the US

A repeated comment that I see in cypherpunks is that
"PGP 2.5 is illegal for use outside the US" and thus
communications cannot take place between those in
the US and outside using PGP 2.5.

However, as I see it PGP 2.5 (or 2.6) is only illegal
for use outside the US by US law.  Most of us ouside
the US really don't care about US law.  The only
problem is the export of PGP 2.5 from the US, which
need only occur once.  I can't believe that this hasn't
already happened.

So:  US users can legally use PGP 2.5.  Foreign users
can also use PGP 2.5 until the US decides to kidnap them.
As far as I know there are no laws against sending
encrypted traffic across the border.  Where lies the
problem?