MotherJones MJ94: Pretty good hellraisin' (fwd)

MotherJones MJ94:
Pretty good hellraisin'
	-- by Ariel Sabar

Philip Zimmermann, our February 1994 Hellraiser, is rushing to finish
what he tentatively calls Voice PGP, named after his uncrackable
computer encryption program, Pretty Good Privacy. His new creation turns
a personal computer into a secure telephone--much to the consternation
of the feds.

Voice PGP uses a computer and high-speed modem to compress and encrypt
the caller's voice before transmitting it onto ordinary phone lines.
Only the called party can decode what the user is saying, in real time.
Why Zimmermann's hurry? "We have a window of opportunity to fill this
technology niche before the government acts," he says. Otherwise, once
U.S.  intelligence gets its hands on telephone surveillance technology,
"it will be like putting a sticker on every phone that says, 'J. Edgar
Hoover inside.'"

Zimmermann and other cypherpunks are already disturbed by the
government's decision to install the Clipper chip (an encryption device
whose passwords are known to both the user and the feds) in computer
communications software. His aim is to get Voice PGP out there (for
free, like PGP) and widely in use by the end of the year.

All rights reserved. Redistribution permitted with this notice attached.
Redistribution for profit prohibited.