Re: ecash Press Release

On Fri, 27 May 1994, Perry E. Metzger wrote:

> Rolf Michelsen says:
> > Before you get too enthusiastic remember that electronic cash is not
> > legal tender
>
> I have to mention, yet again, that this sort of phrasing is a product
> of the notion that digital cash is somehow a currency. It is not. It
> is an anonymous money transfer method. Saying "digicash is not legal
> tender" is sort of meaningless -- the real question is "is the
> currency being transfered legal tender".

Yes, and if you had quoted my entire message you would get my point.
Since electronic cash is not legal tender -- just a way of transfering
legal tender -- a clearing system which administrates the "real flow of
money" must exist so that participants can exchange their "transfer
tokens" to "real" cash.

-- Rolf

Rolf Michelsen                           "Standards are wonderful --
Email: [email protected]      everyone should have one"
Phone: +47 73 59 87 33                       -- Ancient FORTH proverb