Is DES exportability context-dependent?

I don't have my "Applied Cryptography" handy, but this keyboard's here
in front of me always ready :-)

Lets say I rigged up a "signature" system that cranked the message
through a DES or 3DES engine in CBC mode, and used the last value as
the signature (or something like that; whatever makes the most sense).
In that context---as a signature algorithm---would DES be exportable?

It's been demonstrated that something developed as a signature
algorithm but later adapted to encryption purposes remains exportable,
right?  What about going the other direction?

--
| GOOD TIME FOR MOVIE - GOING ||| Mike McNally <[email protected]>       |
| TAKE TWA TO CAIRO.          ||| Tivoli Systems, Austin, TX:        |