No Subject

for [email protected]
From: Jeff Gostin<[email protected]>
Subject:Re: How long is reasonable?
To: [email protected]
Date: Wed, 6 Jul 1994 15:11:40 EST

Mike Markley <[email protected]> writes:

> can't be broken in a reasonable amount of time. I'm  interested in what
> most of the people on this list would consider a reasonable amount of
> time though.
     For me, "reasonable amount of time" translates into "the minimum
amount of time neccessary to elapse before the information gained loses
its sensitive or critical value." In other words, if I encrypted some
rather embarrassing letters that I wanted to keep, but also wanted to keep
safe, the "reasonable amount of time" would be as long as it takes for me
to die, plus one day. If it's a "state secret", it might be 100 years.

                                   --Jeff
--
======  ======    [email protected]+
  ==    ==        | The new, improved, environmentally safe, bigger, better,|