Re: Detwiler's Crypto Mailing List

: From: [email protected]

: I found this by doing a keyword search (cryptography) in America Online's
: database of mailing lists.  I thought it might be of interest to the
: cypherpunks mailing list:

Oh God :-(  Either Detweiler has got himself an AOL account or all AOL
people are as clueless as they're reputed to be...

He follows it with this...

> From: Anonymous <[email protected]>

> Can anyone tell me if one can use PGP 2.6 with an online service [America
> Online]. From what the FAQ says, I need an actual UNIX account rather than
> just an E-Mail Gateway. Is this true?

> If not, then how do I encrypt without attaching the pgp file [which goes only
> to other AOL users] or without using BinHex and inserting THAT into my
> message body? Not all of my peers use AOl or possess BinHex.

Hmmm... I think theory #1 is the more likely one.  Is it time to shout
'He's baaaaack!' yet? - I'll know soon enough if I log on to cypherpunks
and find 50 articles all following up posts from AOL...