Re:"True Names," chat with Vinge, and Cypherpunks

Any newer Vinge estimates of arrival time for the Singularity? I saw an
article a while back by Vinge and I think he was estimating 2013-2030
timeframe.

I've been thinking of starting a Singularity Watch type Web-page/email
list, as I am often struck by technological newsbits that seem enough
out-of-the-ordinary and potentially status quo shattering that they seem to
indicate some sort of potential for breakthrough.

Some recent examples:

*human genome project

*quantum mechanical teleportation

*high energy ion bombardment of nuclei in Germany yields something besides
quarks, gluons in protons (potential challenge to QCD, is this our
photoelectric effect finally?)

*quantum computing

*etc

Despite the romantic appeal of the idea, though, I think it is a bit
farther off than Vinge imagines--maybe 2050.

--
Benjamin McLemore
[email protected]