Re: House Rules Committee marks encryption bill as "open"

At 3:54 PM 7/13/94, Kent Borg wrote:
>"Shabbir J. Safdar" <[email protected]> wrote:
>>I phoned the House Rules comm. this morning.  They informed me that
>>the committee voted 5-4 earlier this week to allow amendments to the
>>General Export Administration Act on the House Floor.
>
>Stanton McCandlish <[email protected]> then copied it out to a zillion
>destinations.
>
>Aren't we looking a bit amateurish?

I'd called it "grassroots," myself.

>If EFF is going to make official requests for faxes and phone calls it
>should also make prompt official reports of the results.  I want us to
>be organized, I want us to look organized, I want the Congress to know
>we are organized.

Did the EFF actually make this call (for the House Rules lobbying)?  I
thought it was a different organization.  Stanton McCandlish has a tendancy
to forward anything vaguely EFF'ish to many, many places.  He also
forwarded that idiocy called "Telco Snooping" a while back.  Does that mean
the EFF supports/believes that?  I hope not, or my membership dollars (and
AT&T, and whoever else's) are being wasted.

If the EFF did make this call, I agree they need to be reacting a bit
quicker.  The ability to get information out quickly and fairly cheaply is
what the net/InfoBahn/Information Superhighway is all about.

Bob

--
Bob Snyder N2KGO                                     MIME, RIPEM mail accepted
[email protected]                       finger for RIPEM public key