Re: New version of Digital Telephony Bill?

On Wed, 13 Jul 1994, Jim Miller wrote:

> In the latest Wired issue (2.08) there is a small blurb about a new
> version of the Digital Telephony Bill that the FBI has presented.
> According to the blurb, a couple of Senators has expressed a willingness
> to sponsor this new version.  Anybody have any more info on this?
>
> [email protected]

The FBI submitted a bill to Congress in March at the time of the Freeh
testimony. That draft was rejected by the Congress but at the same time
Sen. Biden has told the FBI that he would introduce a bill for them.

A working group of hill staffers  from relevant Congressmen and Senators
has been working on an "acceptable" bill to industry and the FBI.
Industry's position has been led by the  Digital
Privacy and Security Working Group. For some strange reason,
privacy and consumer advocates usch as ourselves, the US Privacy Council,
Public Citizen, PIRG, Consumers Union etc.who are still demanding
that the FBI give us a serious rationalle for this substantial change
in the law  have  been left out of
this deal-cutting frenzy. We have also been repeatly turned down from
obtaining a copy of the draft legislation. What little we have learned is
that there will still be a legislative mandate that surveillance
capability will be built in will remain. Control will be placed in the
hands of the attorney general, the FCC and the courts.

A meeting was scheduled for last tue, the 12th, to determine if a
good deal had been cut. So far, no word. We expect that if a dela was
cut, official legislation will be introduced shortly after the Supreme
Court confirmation hearings are complete

The moral of this story? Those that really believe that industry and
their proxies will protect their privacy - I have a bridge for you
to buy. Cheap. And dont forget that its an election year.

Dave Banisar
EPIC