article: DES strength against attacks

"The Data Encryption Standard (DES)and its strength against attacks"
by D. Coppersmith in IBM J. or R&D, v38#3, May 1994 pp243-250

..in this paper, we examine one such attempt [to break DES], the method of
differential cryptanalysis.... we show some of the safeguards against
differential cryptanalysis that were built into the system from the
beginning.

Disclaimer: The present author participated in the design and test of DES,
particularly in the design of the S-boxes and in strengthening them against
differential cryptonalysis. Naturally , this author has strong opinions
about DES and its history. Any opinions in this paper are those of the
author and are not necessarily shared by IBM

* Allen J. Baum              tel. (408)974-3385  *
* Apple Computer, MS/305-3B                      *
* 1 Infinite Loop                                *
* Cupertino, CA 95014        [email protected]      *