Gore's "new and improved" key escrow proposal

Just think how easy it would be to comply with software key escrow requirements:
imagine a new PGP option -- +encrypt_to_escrow_agents=on

The escrow agent's PGP public key could be shipped with every copy of PGP...
naturally, every PGP user will be required by law not to override this
option if the Vice President gets his way.

 --- sound of tongue being removed from cheek ---

I have tried to think of a positive use for key escrow.  The only  thing that I
have come up with so far is kind of like having local key escrow within one
company, or something like that.  Kind of like having a master key that fits
all the offices in one wing of a building, or something like that.  That could
be good in some business uses, provided you could pick your own trusted master
key holder.  I don't think that is what Al Gore has in mind.