Re: LITTLE BROTHER INSIDE

> REMOTE CONTROL--In addition to denying access to your files by
> encrypting, you might want to *change* them in some way *after*
> your computer has been seized/stolen.  Pagers are cheap.  They
> can be pinged no matter where they are located in their service
> area.  They can be accessed from any phone (even a jailhouse
> payphone).  And they are small enough to be wired into your
> computer.  It souldn't be too difficult to fix it so your
> computer can read transmitted numbers from the pager's memory.
> Code numbers could be used to tell your computer to take various
> actions.  Depending upon your circumstances, you could tell your
> computer to decrypt this or that set of files, to reformat the
> hard drive, to fry the CPU, etc.

This would of course assume that the police were silly enough to
use the disk and such from your machine in your machine. From my
experience w/ Mentor and Erik Blookaxe during Operation Sun Devil this
is not very realistic. As I understand it they took the floppies and the
hard drives out of the original machines and used them on their own. This
was in case their was any 'time-bombs' installed. Another aspect would
be that the machine would have to be turned on. Also it would only work
once. Thereafter they would either examine the equipment in a Farady Cage
or else start doing pager rental scans prior to seizure.

> LITTLE BROTHER INSIDE--Even better than a pager, would be a cell
> phone.  It would be more expensive, but also more versatile.  In
> addition to giving instructions to your computer, a cell phone
> could be used to *eavesdrop* on the location where your computer
> is being held.  By disabling the ringer and remounting the
> mouthpiece, you could surreptitiously call your computer, any
> time, from any phone and monitor conversations in the area.  (To
> paraphrase an old military curse, "bug the bugging buggers.")  As
> long as the computer is plugged in, the cell phones batteries
> will continue to be topped off.  (For the truly thorough privacy
> advocate, a GPS unit could be hooked into the cell phone to give
> you its location.)

There is a move here in Austin, TX to put GPS rcvrs. in our police cars
and then transmit the data back to base over their laptop channels.