RE: Questions about Microsoft and Software Key Escrow

From: Jacob Levy

I respect your feelings on the matter and your ability to think clearly and
with great foresight also :-), but for this list it would probably be much
more useful if we got some _OFFICIAL_ answer from Microsoft instead of your
"I believe, I cannot think, can't see", etc. etc. You're obviously a
concerned individual but you equally obviously don't claim to speak for
Microsoft.

Thanks, Jacob.   I don't speak for Microsoft, but I can speak based on
impressions I have accumulated from internal correspondence between
employees and misc. company communications to employees.  The company
would suffer turmoil from within, if it were the case that privacy had
been compromised.  Programmers are just like you & me, right?

Anyway, I personally can't see the very existence of a system of key
escrow is an evil which should be apprehended and stopped.   In concert
with the idea of liberty & freedom to develop ideas and export crypto,
I think the best offense is a good defense.   I would oppose the idea
that anyone should be stopped from developing creative ideas on the
principle that it would be contrary to the existence of intelligence on
the planet.  I would oppose it if the government promoted it, and I
would oppose it if any one else did, also.

Blanc