Re: Just say NYET to censors

At  8:58 AM 07/28/94 +0800, Jacob Levy wrote:

>Would you agree to: Nope, can't watch that XXX movie without first keying
>in your ID?

Not to mention watching that [insert your favorite
nonmainstream politician] speech...

I think the real issue here is that any form of censorship
simply sucks (censorship here is content based filtering of
ideas- I am not talking about people who choose not to devote
thier resources to something- that is a related but different
idea). The original poster is trumpeting censorship 'for the
children.' Is anyone else sick of the Save The Kids excuses
used to puch nasty legislation through (Polly Klaas starts
rolling over...)? I firmly believe that if parentd don't want
children seeing something it is the parent's responsibility to
take control of what the children see. If they don't have the
time/energy to be a responsible parent *as they define it*, then
maybe they should have thought about that beofre they had a kid.
In any case, someone else's desire to 'shield' thier child from
some forms of expression has nothing to do with my expression
thereof.

>--JYL

<Jamie steps down... and tries to think about stuff having more
to do with crypto>

-j
--
"Blah Blah Blah"
Jamie Lawrence                                  <[email protected]>