Re: "Just say 'No' to key escrow."

: From: "Timothy C. May" <[email protected]>

: Paul Robichaux writes:

: > No doubt. But what does the OS provider gain from including encryption
: > in the OS? At present, customers aren't demanding it. Why add SKE at
: > all when no one's asking for it?

: Ah, the exact question for us to be asking! "Why add SKE at all when
: no one's asking for it?" Indeed.

: Why the upcoming conference on key escrow? Why the representatives
: from Germany, Netherlands, France, etc.?

Because, as I mentioned before but I don't think people understood the
significance, Bill Gates is attempting to create a worldwide network
of about a hundred satellites.  You don't get to do that without
political assistance, and no way is the USG going to let Bill put those
birds up unless they control the technology to snoop on the entire net.

Putting SKE in all microsoft products is doubtless one (though unlikely
all) of the quid pro quos of getting a licence to put up the sky-based
comms network.