Re: Philadelphia Enquirer Story on Clipper

At 11:46 PM 7/31/94 -0700, Lucky Green wrote:
>>  Dorothy E. Denning, chairman of the computer-science department at
>> Georgetown University and a supporter of the Clipper plan, said such
>> a world [with unbreakable encryption] would be like ''highways without
>>traffic lights and people
>> without driver's licenses.''
>
>Let me predict it here today: there will be the day that you will need a
>license to access the Net.

Yeah.  I can imagine it.  It would be like New York City today where the
tabs are telling us that seemingly half the population is "driving while
license suspended."  <g>

Course the 1st Amend. was specifically designed to eliminate the nasty
British habit of licensing newspapers.  Driving licenses weren't mentioned
in that document.  Have their been any licensing proposals for the
Information Stupor Highway yet?  If the Supremes will let me burn a cross,
isn't it likely that they will let me log on?

DCF

"On the Information Super Highway, there will have no speed limits, there
will be no rest areas, <voice change to irony> there will be no troopers.
But there will be a passing lane, a passing lane." -- Network MCI