Re: "Anon" fake...

On Tue, 2 Aug 1994, Perry E. Metzger wrote:

> [email protected] says:
> > Folks, we GOTTA do something about this...
>
> The obvious and simple fix is to put code into the Majordomo
> implementation to prevent the subscription of an*@anon.penet.fi (note
> pointed this out before -- unfortunately, the list maintainers don't
> have time to do it. Maybe someone could volunteer to do the change?
> You'd have to talk to Eric Hughes about how to do the work.
>
> Perry

Perry (and other c'punks),

  I don't think the mechanism employed by the hacker is using "who" at
all.  Rather, it is someone who is subscribed to the list and has a
program which looks at the author of each message to see if it is someone
already in their database.  If it is someone new, it automatically sends
a message for that person into the anon service.  If not, it simply
ignores the message.  There are LOTS of silent listeners on the list and
it could be ANY of them.  Stoping this is not going to be easy.  I don't
suppose [email protected] would be interested in recording the name of the
site where all these requests are originating?  Any other ideas?

						Lyman

Finger [email protected] for PGP 2.4 Public Key Block.