Re: encryption and Ham Radio

Jonathan Rochkind scribbles:

> A while ago I thought about getting a Ham Radio license for doing TCP/IP over the airwaves. I never got around to learning the details, but I know that it is
> possible, and that many Hams in big cities have detailed digital nets running
> over the airwaves, using TCP/IP, or other protocols. There are even some
> gateways onto the internet.

Yup.  All sorts of nifty stuff available for digital ham radio bands,
though if you're looking for a replacement for a SLIP/PPP connection
to the net, you'll probably be disappointed.

> When I was investigating getting a license, it came to my attention that FCC
> rules prohibit encrypting any digital data you send over the airwaves in this
> way. I don't know exactly how far this prohibition reaches, but I know
> you can lose your ham license for sending encrypted data over the digital
> ham network.

Actually, I think it's "obscure the meaning."  My reading of this is
that certain forms/uses of cryptography, like digital signature, would
be permitted.

> I haven't actually seen any mention of this by the EFF and other groups like
> that, where I'd expect it. Or on cypherpunks, for that matter. Maybe it's
> because no one knows about it. So I'm telling you. I think that this is a
> pretty terrible state of affairs, because ham radio TCP/IP provides a low
> cost (if really low bandwith) permanent connection to the internet, and
> currently anyone who accesses the internet this way is _prohibited_ from using
> encryption. Bad.

I don't currently have a TNC to connect up, though I probably will soon.

I don't think I would ever use my connection to do raw IP from my
machine to the Internet, primarily because of the prohibition on
commercial traffic, which is difficult to guard against, and that you
are responsible for your transmittions, regardless of the actual
origin of the traffic.  Makes for a dnagerous combination.

> [Oh, they are also prohibited form broadcasting "bad" words in digital form.
> Which causes endless problems for people with usenet gateways onto these
> digital ham nets. They need automated software robots searching out all posts
> for Carlins 7 bad words, and deleting them.]

This doesn't protect them.  For example, that C&S spam from a while
ago would have placed any Usenet gateway in violation of FCC rules.
Loss of license, and some hefty fines (though they are usually waived
if you can't afford it or it wasn't malicious)

Bob
--
Bob Snyder N2KGO                                    MIME, RIPEM mail accepted
[email protected]                      finger for RIPEM public key