RE: CreditCard info

At 11:49 PM 8/7/94 -0500, Brian Lane wrote:

> ....in 10 years all
>newborns will have a small uP implanted into their hand(ala Demolition
>Man) that will keep track of all their electronic data. Scares the crap
>out of me.

We just had thread about that. I had brought up Gerry O'Neill's old book
"2081", which had a discussion of buying things by picking them up and
walking away with them (everything, including you, had an identifying
transponder).  There was some talk about Xerox PARC's work with
transponders in their "Ubiquitous Computing" office concept.

What I didn't understand was how to implement Esther Dyson's idea about
people owning all their personal information and protecting all that
"property" with strong crypto. Paradoxically, I bet both these ideas
(transponders and personal information as property through strong crypto)
can work together.

Cheers,
Bob Hettinga

Robert Hettinga  ([email protected]) "There is no difference between someone
Shipwright Development Corporation     who eats too little and sees Heaven and
44 Farquhar Street                       someone who drinks too much and sees
Boston, MA 02331 USA                       snakes." -- Bertrand Russell
(617) 323-7923