Re: e$

    Date: Wed, 10 Aug 1994 10:28:48 -0400
    From: "Perry E. Metzger" <[email protected]>

    Jim Dixon says:
    > Precisely what do you mean by "is used to avoid federal transfer reporting
    > requirements" ?  If you say that it is illegal, can you direct us to or
    > quote the relevant statute?

    I don't care to. It is widely known and understood that structuring
    transactions to avoid the $10,000 and over transaction reporting
    requirements is a felonly. Go and find out why on your own.

A good starting place would be the hermes project (aka
courts.usa.federal.supreme).  There is (was?) an archive at
hermes.cwru.edu.  There was a case decided within the last year
involving a payment restructuring.  At issue was whether the
restructuring took place with the *intent* to avoid the reporting
requirements.  This is completely off-the-top-of-my-head.  I'm not
going to do any actual research on this.

Another place would be the local branch office of your bank.

I believe that the reporting requirement has been at $3000 for a
number of years.

			Rick