Subject: Computer services in DTB was: Are Remailers Liable for What They Remail?

  Hal <[email protected]>  writes:
> This is one of the things that worries me about the Digital Telephony
> bill. In the various apologias and explanations from EFF, CyberWire
> Dispatch, etc. about why EFF helped with this bill, it was mentioned that
> online service providers have been removed from its coverage because they
> are not "common carriers".  It only applies, they say, to common carriers
> like phone companies.
> Obviously I haven't read the text of the bill (probably no one has ;-) but
> this certainly raises the question of whether pursuing common carrier
> status would cause electronic service providers to fall under the wiretap
> require- ments of the bill.

I was looking thru the text of an early markup of the bill today, and it
includes information service providers. I'll go out to my car and get the
page and cite.

At today's congressional hearing, they did NOT provide text of the bill.

EFF sold out, and I'd love to know why.

Pat

Pat Farrell      Grad Student                 [email protected]
Department of Computer Science    George Mason University, Fairfax, VA
Public key availble via finger          #include <standard.disclaimer>