NY Times on e$

The NY Times today reports on "the first retail transaction on
the Internet using a readily available version of powerful data
encryption software designed to guarantee privacy."

Quotes:

"Even if the NSA was listening in, they couldn't get his credit
card number," said Daniel M. Kohn, the 21-year-old chief
executive of the Net Market Company of Nashua, N.H.

* * * *

The data encryption program is called PGP. . .

* * * *

"I think it's an important step in pioneering this work, but
later on we'll probably see more exciting things in the way of
digital cash," said Philip Z. Zimmermann . . .

In other words, [e$] are packets of worth that have value in
cyberspace, the same way dollars have value in the real world,
except that they have the properties of anonymity, privacy, and
untraceability.  Many details remained to be worked out, Mr.
Zimmermann said.

End quotes.

Includes discussion of net security and encryption.

See Business Section, pp. D1, D2.  AOL offers access to NY
Times.

Anyone who wants a copy email me.

John