Re: e$ & Reporting Cash Trans

>     From: [email protected]
>     Date: Thu, 11 Aug 1994 16:28:56 -0700 (PDT)
>
>     I think it was a high-level court ruling that essentially said
>     it's perfectly ok to intentionally structure cash transfers to
>     avoid the $10,000 reporting requirement.  That's all I recall.
>
> No.  What was at issue was whether the prosecution was required and/or
> able to demonstrate the defendant's intent to circumvent the reporting
> requirements.  If the defendant had admitted such an intent, there
> would not have been a case.

Of course this means that if you split e-cash transfers into small amounts
to avoid any security problems that could otherwise affect the entire
transfer, you are in the clear. While the logic of this decision is
debatable, it should certainly be sufficient to win in court. Especially
if it is built into the software as a feature.

JWS